Farewell From Matt Hirsch, News Editor

Matt Hirsch, Vanguard's news editor, and his mom./Matt Hirsch

By Matt Hirsch

When I came to Brooklyn College two years ago, I had no clue what to expect. It was August 2020, a few months into the pandemic. I had graduated from Kingsborough Community College eight months prior, and in that time, the world turned upside down. 

It felt like every semester was more difficult than the last, and it was. As I write this, my head is spinning from the amount of work to be done before I’m finished here at BC. 

Like many of my peers, these last two years have been some of the most difficult in my life. But I wouldn’t change a thing. 

First, I want to thank our fearless leader, and Editor-in-Chief, Gaby. The first in the room and the last to leave. Thanks for sticking by me. I don’t know how you do what you do. You’ve been helpful beyond words and so understanding over the last year. It’s been an honor and a pleasure to be your friend, peer, and colleague. I know that The Vanguard is in good hands as long as you’re in charge. And to our second in command, John. Us Mets fans gotta stick together, right? You’re off to bigger and better things at the CUNY J-School. And we thought capstone’s been a challenge. Good luck my friend. I know you’re going to do great things there.

Despite the long, stressful nights, when we texted each other at midnight to finish up the paper for print the next day, somehow, we’ve always managed to create something I’m immensely proud of. Working under the two of you pushed me to be a better journalist. The Vanguard will always hold a special place in my heart. There are other people I have to thank, but they know who they are. And they already know how grateful I am to have them in my life.

I’ve never worked as hard or as long for anything, as I have to graduate from Brooklyn College. After dropping out of college twice, I found my path when I enrolled as a journalism major at Kingsborough. I was so lost and so unsure of myself before I found that path. And though graduating there was a big milestone, it pales in comparison to the step I’m about to take. It still hasn’t quite hit me yet. And though this is the end of one journey, it’s just the beginning of my career. Who knows where I’ll be twenty years from now?

I’ve learned to embrace the twists and turns that life throws at me. Four years ago, if you asked me what I wanted to do with my life, I would’ve probably said something sarcastic and brushed off the question. Because I didn’t know the answer. Today, I’ll still probably have a sarcastic response, but now I know. 

So, thanks to Brooklyn College. I wouldn’t be the person I am today if it wasn’t for you. And though I only got to spend a single semester on campus, it’s been a semester I’ll never forget. Serving as The Vanguard’s News Editor has taught me so much about myself, and about what it takes to be a journalist. But, before I spend too long getting sentimental, I’ll just say, peace out BC. I’ll catch y’all on the flip side.